How To Raise and Grow Your Own Mealworms

How To Raise and Grow Your Own Mealworms

An additional commentary about mealworms, following the article in the most recent issue of The Bird's-Eye reView, came from Kathryn Kessler in Newton, Iowa.

"I have been feeding mealworms for two years now and find them incredibly easy to raise. I keep a supply going year 'round,"


she wrote.

"I have two plastic tubs (13 1/2 x 17x 6) with lids in which I use a mix of wheat bran and chicken feed (non-medicated) for the worm bedding.

I add sliced carrots, zucchini, celery or lettuce. "The worms cycle through to the bug form, which lays eggs in the bedding.

The eggs hatch into tiny worms that grow to adults and the life cycle then repeats itself. "In the spring and summer I sometimes feed as many as 100 worms a day when the birds are busy feeding their young.

I have had great success attracting several bird species to the mealworms. My favorites to watch are the catbirds that make trip after trip to the feeder, eat a few worms and then select two or three to take back to their nestlings.

My biggest frustration is with the robins, which are gluttons of the highest magnitude. I counted as one robin packed 25 worms in its bill before it flew away.

I have been feeding the worms from a shallow dish on the deck floor. But I am considering some kind of hanging feeder with an opening which would exclude someof the larger birds.

Mealworms have been a great addition to my birds' diets."

Editor's note: Kathryn's experience with live bird food is a great addition to The Bird's-Eye reView. Our thanks to her for sharing so that other members can benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2leep.com